Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Four

And just like that, he turned four.


Noah, you're a big boy now. You tell me every morning when you wake up that Today I Am Four! Except you've been four for two weeks now but I don't tell you that. I let you tell me that you are newly four and newly big because, in truth, I don't want you to be big. I want to keep you small for always. But I know time is unkind and I won't get my way.


You accomplished so much this past year. One day last October you tossed aside those silly diapers and declared yourself ready for the potty. This past April you handed me your beloved DeDe (taggie blanket) and told me you were a big boy and didn't need it anymore. Then you promptly broke into tears when I actually took it and put it away for good. But you knew you didn't need it. You loved that DeDe with every cell in your small body but you also knew it was time to let it go. You did it with a grace and maturity unexpected of a three year old. You also stopped sucking your finger which was cause for much jubilation. You earned that visit to the toy store one hundred and ten percent.


Do you want to know your biggest and most important accomplishment? You learned how to read. Oh, Noah, that night you pointed out words to me and sounded them out and READ them, my heart leapt into my throat and my mouth smiled as wide as it could go. I couldn't have been more proud of you than I was in that moment. I swear I walked around with a goofy smile for days, wearing my pride on my face. I also learned how to read when I was three and to see you loving it as much as I did brings me such joy. Your father was pretty impressed too (understatement). Reading and books have been a shining light in my life and I want to share that with you. I will never, ever tell you to turn off the light if you're reading and learning and growing that brain of yours.


The doctor proclaimed you perfect at today's exam, but we already knew that. You're my best boy, my four year old buddy, and the sweetest big brother a little girl could ever have.



We love you to the moon and back, sweet boy. Happy Fourth Birthday.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Happy birthday sweet Noah. I can't believe all these babies of ours keep growing up. It'll never compute, I don't think.

Jessica said...

Good job, Noah!! Reading is awesome. Happy belated birthday.

(I love the pictures of the two kids.)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

We haven't seen that kid since he was at least three. It's been far too long. Must get something on the calendar now! =) Happy happy, Noah!!!