Monday, October 1, 2012

A request for October

September kicked my ass. School started, school stopped (union strike...just super), school started again, work got nuts, work quieted down, work went crazy again, Chloe turned One (more on that later when I can gather my thoughts on Last Baby Turning One), minor breakdown about life and The Future and The Plan, and on and on. Life has been moving at a breakneck speed and taunting me to catch up. I need the month of October to be cool. So, hey, October? If you could just bring the calm and gentle I would be very appreciative.

I turn 31 in two days. Turning 30 didn't bother me or really mean that much...I had a 10 day old baby and a three year old who had just declared that he really wished his sister would go back to the hospital. Last year's birthday was a complete blur of non-stop nursing, sleeping in two hour increments and perhaps there was cake? I really couldn't tell you. My 30th year was bookended with a birth and a first birthday and some good and bad in between. It was a year in which I grew up even more and started to feel like maybe, just maybe, I was getting the hang of this adult business. 31 though...31 is feeling strange. It's not old (oh, I know this is true) nor is it young (say the wrinkles on my face) but it's there. This strange feeling that something is about to happen that will change our course.

What I hope is really nothing is Noah's visit to the children's neurologist on the 9th. We, and our pediatrician agreed, know that he has some conditions that require a visit to the neurologist and most likely an MRI. This is not out of left field and we're extremely grateful that our pediatrician didn't blow us off. While we wait and see what the diagnosis is (if there is one), we would appreciate your happy, healthy Noah thoughts any which way you choose to send them.

Again, October, I'm not asking for miracles or the lottery winnings or anything out of the ordinary...just give me a healthy boy and a some pumpkins from the patch. I don't really need or want more than that. Oh, except maybe an ice cream cake. That would be perfect.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy almost birthday!! I hope Noah's doctor appointment goes well and you get some answers either way.

Erica said...

Thinking good thoughts for the appt!

Cass. Just Curious said...

We had that appointment too. A month ago. It was not as scary as expected - we didn't get an MRI- we did get a functional diagnosis with next steps - in the end we're better for knowing.

Thinking of you - if you need an ear I am here. I also rhyme on command. :-)

Jennie said...

You have all the good thoughts I've got. Happy early birthday to you too, one of my favorite ladies around. XO

Michelle said...

Happy healthy Noah thoughts on the way!

And happy early birthday!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

So, the day you'll be at Children's with Noah just happens to be the same day I scheduled time to "order Gavin's cake" ... talk about putting things into perspective. You know we're cheering for Noah and hope that you can celebrate good news at Gavin's party (with cake, though I can't promise ice cream). =) {heart you}

k said...

The 9th is on my calendar.