Wednesday, August 20, 2008

One Month

Dear Noah,

Today you turned one month old. Time has both flown and stood still in the past 4 weeks. From the moment you were born, everything changed. First, I don't sleep anymore. Not that I was doing such a great job of it at the end of my pregnancy, but you have really taken not sleeping to a new level. This whole not sleeping during the day unless attached to me in the sling is just not going to work long term. Sorry to break it to you. Luckily, you and I had a breakthrough last night. You slept from 8 pm until 1:45 am...do you even understand how wonderful that was getting more than 2 hours sleep in a row? Let's make that happen again and again and again!

Secondly, the part of my brain that retains facts, memories, and oh, you know WORDS, barely functions anymore. I can have a conversation with you because you won't judge me when I point to a tree and can't remember the word for it...that leafy thing with big arms? No, those are BRANCHES. Duh. But if I go out in public it's an embarrassing event. I pity the poor souls who have to interact with me on a regular basis...I apologize to the CVS pharmacist, our dry cleaner, the lovely cashier at Target who fawned all over you asking how old you were while I stared at her blankly.

But you know what? I am pretty proud of your father and myself for not only keeping you alive for 4 weeks but also for helping you thrive. You're almost two pounds over your birth weight and have grown more than two inches. The dairy farm here is working overtime to keep up with you. You and I have such fun during the day on our walks and lunches with friends. I love pointing things out to you and describing where we are and what we're doing. Your eyes are always bright and searching. I have a feeling you're going to be a curious little boy, always asking questions and taking things apart to see how they work. Just make sure you put them back together again, mmkay?

Thank you, Noah, for coming into our lives. You make each day better than the last. We love you more than anything else.



Love,
Mama

(So I totally made cupcakes for his "birthday" and we lit the candle and sang Happy Birthday...the whole shebang. Tim went to eat the cupcake, and it fell apart in his hand. He then asked if I followed the directions on the BOX of cake mix. Yes, it came in a box. Of course I did! Until I read the box and realized it called for eggs, in addition to the water and oil. Oh. Oops. See paragraph two up there.)

No comments: