Tuesday, January 12, 2010

TGGA Update

For those of you following along at home and riveted by the TGGA (The Great Gym Adventure), I just wanted to inform you that Noah made it an entire HOUR today without a major meltdown.  When I left him, I swear the caretaker was crossing herself and slowly backing away like he might combust at any moment.  Yes, he cried.  A lot.  And yes, I felt terrible when I closed the door on him.  But he (WE!) did it.  I spent most of my yoga class watching the clock and waiting for the staff to come get me which kind of ruined the whole relaxation purpose of yoga, but they never came.  Let me repeat:  they never came.  As soon as the instructor Namaste'd us or whatever you want to call it, I hightailed it to the childcare room and when I walked in Noah was calmly playing with a toy phone.  He saw me, acknowledged me with a "Mama" and continued on his merry way.  I about fell over dead.  He didn't even CARE that I was back. The caretaker (Miss Elena, let's just put her name out there, ok?  Ok.) let me know that he cried for about three minutes after I left, abruptly stopped and had been playing happily ever since.  So happily that he didn't want to leave and screamed at me for a good ten minutes after we left.

People, I feel like I conquered some sort of Mama Mountain.  Make fun of me all you want but this is an empowering feeling.  I can leave my kid in the care of a stranger and he's ok.  I'M OK.  It's only taken me 18 months to figure it out.  18 loooooooooonnnnnggggg months.  But we did it and that's awesome.

3 comments:

k said...

Congratulations! Nothing like a toy phone to make moms but a distant memory.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS AL!!!!!!

becoming-mom said...

wow, that's HUGE! I haven't even thought about trying this yet, you are brave and more importantly you prevailed!