Sunday, August 21, 2011

A love letter to my first born, as he turns 3

Dear Noah, my sweet son:

For three years it has been just us, the three of us, growing, learning, and laughing our way through life. Ever since your beautiful birth I have been enamored with you. I have memorized the curve of your cheek, the deep blue of your eyes, the dimple in your chin, the way you fit snuggled into the crook of my arm no matter how big you grow. We're two pieces of a puzzle that always fit together, a mama and her little boy.



I drink you up on a daily basis and wish for more after you are tucked safely into bed each evening. I delight in all the new things you learn, the songs we sing, the silly games we create together that instantly turn a bad day into one that sparkles. I love hearing your voice call for me in the morning and the delight in your eyes when we meet at the end of a day apart. I love how you love me: deeply and without reservation, a mirror of the love I put out there to you.



You are so very special. You are not perfect and you never will be. You should never try to be. You should always be you...the you that you are becoming. You are funny and have perfect comedic timing. You are stubborn and emotional. You are so very smart and easily bored. You live for each moment and yet appreciate predictability. You are sweet with your kisses and fierce with your hugs. Each and every trait that makes you YOU makes me love you even more. I am so proud to be your mother.



I am humbled that I have been given the gift of raising you with all of the accompanying errors and accomplishments. There are days that I fret I am making too many mistakes, irrevocable mistakes, but then I see you sweetly share your sand toys with a little girl at the playground or apologize without prompting when you hurt a friend's feelings. It's those moments when I know I am doing something right.



As we get closer to your sister's birth, I want you to know that you will always be my baby boy. But just as our family will be transforming so will you. You will become a big brother and learn a whole new level of love and responsibility. I hope you come to love and adore your baby sister and I will do my very best to help you both foster a special relationship. You will always have each other and please don't forget that.



I will always be on your team, loudly screaming it from the rooftops or silently murmuring it from the sidelines. I will always protect you. I will always be the first to show up for you and the last to leave. I will always provide for you until you can provide for yourself and even then I will give you everything I can offer. I will never stop loving you. Ever.



Thank you for coming into my life and making me a mother. Thank you for making us a family. Thank you for being you.

I love you to the moon and beyond. 

Love,
Mama

(Yes, yes, this is a month late. Better late than never though, amiright?)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

This is beautiful.

k said...

He is a sweet boy and you are wonderful parents.

Erica said...

Better a month late and absolutely perfect than on time and hurried.