Sunday, November 18, 2007

The washing machine debacle of 2007

We got our new washing machine on Friday. It's shiny, new and oh so pretty. However, there was nothing wrong with the old one. Let me describe the scene in our house Friday evening at approximately 8 pm. The new machine was installed, and the delivery guy carted away the old machine. Tim hooked up the hoses, plugged the new one in, and decided to follow the written directions and ran an empty cycle. The whole issue with the old washer was that there was water all over the floor after a cycle. We had searched every nook and cranny for a leak and couldn't locate a source. We assumed (why??? who assumes these days????) that the leak was originating from the old washing machine itself and not the hoses/valves. So we ordered a new machine.

Tim ran the first cycle and walked away from the machine. Again, he assumed the issue was cleared up and ta da! Problem fixed. I then got home from work and ran upstairs to see the shiny new front loading washer. Imagine my extreme surprise when I found water on the floor. Again. I yelled to Tim to come upstairs to assess the issue...bad idea. We ended up arguing for an hour over the source of the leak. Finally, we decided that the valve thing-y that the hoses hook up to had corroded and was not effectively keeping the water where it was supposed to be...in the hoses. Tim was off to the hardware store.

Twenty bucks and an hour later, the leak was fixed and no more water on the floor. Wait, I'm sorry, did I say TWENTY dollars? I meant ONE THOUSAND TWENTY dollars. I forgot about the new washing machine part of this whole debacle. It's just so damn irritating. The old washer is most likely perfectly functioning, and yet, we assumed it was the problem and not a faulty old valve thing-y. Even though we checked out the valve and didn't see the leak.

At the end of the day, I knew we were going to have to replace the washing machine within the year so we just did it a bit earlier than we anticipated. And it is so lovely with buttons and a count down clock. Tim is even a little in love with it... although it will be a cold day in hell before he actually deigns to do his own laundry.

(B, I referenced the book before we made our purchase, I really did!)

No comments: