Saturday, December 29, 2007

Wrapping up 2007

We're back from sunny Florida after a much too short trip. It's incredibly hard to leave 80 degrees and sunny when you know you're heading into snow and freezing coldness. Ah well. I hope you all had a very merry Christmas (if you celebrate)! Now to wrap up 2007 the old fashioned way:

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Bought my first house. That was an experience that exhausted and thrilled me all at the same time.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do resolutions because I have a very hard time sticking to them. But this year I have made one that I intend to keep: to be a good parent.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A few friends of friends and Tim's cousin, but no one very close to me.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank god.

5. What countries did you visit?
None. We traveled in the US this year, and most likely won't be making a trip out of the tri-state area until Miss Sarah decides on a locale for her NYE wedding next year! Hurry up, woman!

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A healthy baby...but we weren't planning one for 2007 so does that count?

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 19, 2007. That was the day we found out we were having a wee little Smithy.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Again, buying our first home, and starting our family. It's been an exhausting year already :)

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not standing up for myself at work when my integrity was questioned by a person with a cold, dead space where her heart should be. To think she's studying to be a pediatric nurse now...I will throw myself before a speeding bus if she ever so much as lays a hand on my child. Now I must let go of this hate. Thank you.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Only self-inflicted. I had a small cosmetic procedure done just under a year ago, and it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. Beware.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My pup, Lily. She's the best furry thing that has ever graced this earth, and I am eternally grateful that Tim didn't make me take her back when I came home and he realized he was the proud parent of a 4 pound "purse dog".

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Tim's. The joy that he expresses about having this baby makes my heart explode.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
See above psychotic former employee. And Jamie Lynn Spears. Honey, they start talking about sex ed in 5th grade these days. You KNEW exactly what might happen.

14. Where did most of your money go?
The house. And Target. It's an illness, really.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Again, the baby. That news eclipsed anything else going on in the world.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
The Way I Am, Ingrid Michaelson (is that right?)

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier, but for different reasons. Last year was all about the wedding, which was amazing. And this past year was the beginning of our life together.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter, but for good reason.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer, see #14.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Traveled. Anywhere.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying about all of it. Selling the condo, my fertility.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Florida with some of my family. It was a lovely day...and we took a ride on my Uncle's boat!

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Over and over again with my husband and our little blob of a baby.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Don't make fun: Notes from the Underbelly. That is some great sitcom writing. And it strikes a chord what with the pregnancy story line and all.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nah. Only the psycho. But that was a 2007 issue.

24. What was the best book you read?
I read a lot but nothing really stayed with me. I'm taking recommendations for 2008.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Ingrid Michaelson. She's just so cool.

26. What did you want and get?
Baby Smithy.

27. What did you want and not get?
More sleep.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I am terrible at movies. I need to make Tim sign me up for Netflix...I'll get back to you on that one next year.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 26 this year, and we were staying at my parents' while we were waiting to move into the house. It was a nice day, but uneventful.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
This is so materialistic, but finding a damn couch for my living room. Even though I love to decorate, I hate furniture shopping, and I think that stems from my indecisiveness.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Veering into fashion victim land. And it's only going to get worse. I went into a Motherhood Maternity today to find some jeans, and I thought I was going to die in there. Why in the world would I wear a top that says BABY in bright red with an arrow? Like it's not completely obvious???

32. What kept you sane?
Tim and his patience.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Carter Oosterhouse from Carter Can on HGTV. Ladies, this is one perfect tall, dark, and sexy speciman, and though I rarely watch that show (and only for him if I do) he just makes me melt.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oprah campaigning for Obama. I liked him so much more before he and Oprah teamed up. She may do good in the world, but I just can't get behind a candidate that relies so heavily on a richy-rich, media-centric show woman like Oprah. I prefer a candidate that doesn't need flash and cash to get his/her message out. Now if Hillary would stop being so wishy-washy, I might have my mind made up soon.

35. Who did you miss?
My friend, L, aka Kermit. She just up and moved to Maine yesterday, but I had to say goodbye last week. I'm going to miss her so very much.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I didn't meet too many new people in 2007.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Be kind to people, it gets you so much farther in life. That is the characteristic that Tim possesses that drew me to him in the first place. I am trying to be a kinder, softer person.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Like movie quotes, this is just something I can't do well. I'll leave it to you to add whatever sums up YOUR year.

Thanks for playing! May you have a happy, healthy end to 2007, and a celebratory beginning to 2008. I'll most likely be in bed for the midnight ball drop, so have a glass of champagne for me!

No comments: