Thursday, January 10, 2008

Week 13

Dear Baby,

I would like to formally introduce myself. I am your...mother. The only one you'll ever get, and no, you don't get to trade me in for a newer model like your father thinks he should every 5 years. Welcome to our little family, Baby! Your father and I are overjoyed at the prospect of meeting you in 27 very short weeks. Right now you are 2 inches long, about the size of a lime, and almost fully developed into a miniature person. You have itty-bitty arms and legs that wave and kick about, though I can't yet feel you move. Your brain is forming new connections everyday...according to your father you will be a math and science genius that is also the quarterback of the football team. Apparently your gender doesn't matter. You are our first-born, which means you are the fruit of the genius tree, and we will have unattainable expectations of you from the minute you will be born. Better get started, kiddo.

There are so many people who are looking forward to meeting you. Don't worry, we'll have a flash card study session to prep you. They have been bringing you gifts already, isn't that so fun?! Well, it is for me, ok? I LIKE presents. You will too. It's in our blood. Your father likes expensive things so any money you make better be saved up for his birthday and Christmas gifts. Mama will have to borrow it from you.

So far you've been a good little fetus. You haven't given me too much to complain about which is so far from my normal existence that everyone thinks I've lost my mind. I've been feeling tired, but that is to be expected when I am growing such a strong little baby. Not too bad in the queasy stomach department, though you've given me a run for my money in the evenings. I've been reading many books about newborn/infant care so please don't hate me if I try out many different parenting methods on you. I truly hope you won't hold it against me into your teenage years. I'm new to this so I deserve a learning curve, right? Also, the Ashman side of your family (mine) are royal guilt-givers...your grandfather in particular. I have learned from masters in this art and will be using you to perfect my methods. Take one for the team, Baby...your future siblings will be better off because of your sacrifices.

In all seriousness, you are our miracle. Everyday I learn a little more about you and my excitement grows. You're the tiniest love of my life. I can't imagine how I will be able to love you more than I already do. Your birthday will be one of the greatest days of my life...

Love,

Your Mama

No comments: