Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hee-hee-who, hee-hee-who

We had our birthing class today at the hospital where I will be delivering. When the instructor asked us all (20 couples) who was planning a natural, drug-free delivery and no one raised their hands, it made me laugh outloud. I really thought there would be at least a couple women who were going to try for it all natural, but nope, we all are a bunch of weaklings. No, honestly, I support whatever decision each woman wants as far as her birth plan, but my plan is an epidural at 5 cms and a relatively pain-free delivery. The best part of the class was the tour of the labor and delivery ward as well as the postpartum floor. Half of the rooms face Lake Michigan and if I could pay more to reserve a room with that view I would in a heartbeat. Today was sunny, with tiny white sailboats dotting the blue-green water. It was truly stunning. Unfortunately, you get what you get and there is no way I can bribe the triage nurse to put me in one of those rooms.

I didn't learn a whole lot that I didn't already know about labor and delivery, you know, the mechanics of the whole deal. I know it will be different once it's me in there, but it all seems pretty ho-hum. But I did learn that after tomorrow (end of 34 weeks)if I go into spontaneous labor, my doctor will not try to stop it. So, technically, the boy can come at anytime after tomorrow and be relatively healthy and safely delivered. Freaky, eh? Or totally awesome, whichever way you want to look at it.

So, all in all it wasn't a total loss as far as time or money, especially since I got to eat a cookie and a brownie, for FREE.

No comments: