Sunday, November 23, 2008

Two Years, or How We Ended Up Here, Part II

So.  Apparently Debbie, and probably all my other friends, didn't think I was very nice if I had to be admonished like that.  I mean, I could totally be nice and talk to the strange men sitting next to us, I just didn't WANT to.  See?  There is a difference.  But I was being warmed by my first martini, so I decided to stop being a frigid bitch (it's true, there is no better way to say it) and turn myself around to "chat".  The guy next to me, we'll call him #1, didn't seem to be the more outgoing of the two so I was drawn to the other guy sitting to his right, #2.  Not drawn to him in an I'm attracted to him kind of way, but more in the he seems like he would be fun to bullshit with kind of way, and if you know me at all, you know I like me some bullshitting.  I can't really remember the conversation or what we four talked about but it definitely involved bullshit and as the conversation became longer and fueled by martinis (for us girls) and vodka tonics (for the guys) I started to notice #1 a bit more.  

He had started off kind of quiet but grew more interesting as the night wore on.  His eyes were an intense blue and he had a distinct profile that I found quite charming.  When he was thinking and listening, he involuntarily stuck out his bottom lip.  A little quirk.  He became more animated and he and #2 were clearly good friends.   They enjoyed arguing and bickering while Debbie and I sat there, quite amused.  Our conversations waned and Debbie and I started chatting alone.  At one point, #1 got up to go to the bathroom, and #2 asked me to give him my phone number...on behalf of #1.  I had a policy not to meet a guy in a bar, let alone give him my number, so I refused.  And if he wanted my number, he would have to ask for it himself.  None of this wingman bullshit.  So I told him just that upon his return from the bathroom.  And I wanted to know his full name.  He introduced himself as Tim Smith, and his buddy was Mike.  I gave him my phone number.  Mike declared that Tim would call me the next day and we would go out for sushi that night.  Ladies and Gentlemen, he is available for all matchmaking needs.

At that point I figured, game over, let's move on to the next bar.  I had given him my phone number, he wasn't REALLY going to call, so let's hit the road. I hadn't yet realized that Debbie had already called her sister and friends to come meet us at the Tiny Lounge so we were clearly going nowhere soon.  We four ordered another drink and continued to talk.  We spent an inordinate amount of time listening to Tim and Mike make fun of one another...a mark of good friends for sure.  Debbie's sister arrived and immediately recognized Mike.  They had stood up in a wedding together.  Well, damn if Walt Disney didn't hit it on the head, it IS a small world after all.  At some point, we decided to leave the Tiny Lounge to go dancing (i.e. a bad bar/club with dance music where I would be just drunk enough to think I was actually born with rhythm) and invited Tim and Mike to come along.  The rest of the night was a whirl of dancing, bar-hopping, and talking with Tim until the wee hours of the morning.   

Even by the end of the night, I didn't think he would ever call.  You just don't meet good guys in bars.  It doesn't happen like that.  At around 4 pm on Saturday, my phone rang.  It was Tim.  

...To be continued

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see you met a man named Smith in a bar. A man with great blue eyes. :) I'm loving this story. Especially because I actually DON'T know you, and don't know that you love-you-some-bullshit.