Sunday, November 16, 2008

Watch out, Giada

I'm kind of liking this cooking thing.  I know!  I'm as surprised as you are!  A couple of weeks ago I decided that a) eating out four times a week, though tasty, is extremely expensive and not budget friendly (sound the alarms, this is BRAND NEW INFORMATION to you, isn't it?) and b) I need to try a little harder at home.  Taking care of Noah is my top priority, and one I take very seriously, but after that and doing the laundry, I didn't feel that I was really pulling my weight.  I have a cleaning lady for god's sake so I don't do any heavy cleaning, save the bi-weekly bathroom wipe down extravanganza.  And Tim deserves a wife that actually knows how to prepare a meal and put it on the table (tv tray table...tomato, tomahto).  He pecks at his computer all hours of the day and night to afford for me to stay home so the least I can do is feed him.  And I adore food so it's a win-win for everyone.

So, in this effort, I semi-organized all the torn out recipes from magazines that I have been collecting over the years into a binder.  Next up is getting them all inserted in plastic sleeves so I don't ruin them.  So far I have made:
  • Butternut Squash Soup
  • Winter Lentil Soup
  • Chicken Parmesan
  • Chicken Enchiladas
  • Turkey Chili
  • Scallop and Corn Chowder
  • Some crazy ass casseroles my friend taught me how to make (please note that I usually despise casseroles because the mixing of the food just makes me squeamish, but these turned out pretty tasty)
  • Triple Layer Mud Pie (holy hell this was delicious and will be making it's way to my mother's Thanksgiving dessert table)
Hmm.  That list seemed longer in my head.  Anyhow, it's a start.  If you have any favorite recipes that you would like to share with me, please leave them in the comments or email me at saraashmansmith@gmail.com.  I kind of think I'm a big deal in the kitchen (self-confidence is key, even if it is totally faked), but recipes that include twenty steps and/or obscure kitchen gadgets aren't really my thing.   Noah thanks you in advance with a smile.



Can you even BELIEVE how big he is getting?  He is turning into a BOY and there is nothing I can do to stop it.  4 months this Thursday, people.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the "I have a cleaning lady" thing. Same here -- frankly, I just don't mop floors AND take care of infant. Just doesn't fit in with my lifestyle. :) But my husband works so freakin' hard, too. So, yeah.
I'm emailing you some recipes TODAY, as soon as baby goes down for his next nap!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, anyone who wants one of my "yummy" casserole recipies is free to email me-- one involves tater tots :)

Anonymous said...

If you get any good recipes, please share! This whole new wife thing is harder than I thought, and while I do work full time, I am not also working on my MBA... so... perhaps I should cook for the man???

HeyHO! said...

I'm totally sending you some quick and delicious recipes as soon as I have the time to compile them. Or maybe I'll just bring them with my to Thanksgiving at your parents house. In the mean time, I highly recommend Everyday Food magazine. Chad and I always find great recipes that are really simple and always delicious.

See you guys next week!
Melissa